Lollipop Chicken on the GMG Daniel Boone Grill
- I was having a small group of people over so I got two chicken packs for a total of 17 drumsticks.
- There is some work involved so I took both packs and combined them into one foil pan that will also be the cooking container.
- Safety first I always wear disposable kitchen gloves when I handle raw chicken. The first step is to make a complete cut around the leg about one inch from the knuckle.
- There are some tendons so make sure you cut all the way through. Now pull the meat and the skin together and away from the knuckle. Using kitchen scissors trim the tenons away from the meat.
- Now the last part of making this chicken look like a lollipop id remove the joint from the knuckle. With a small and sharp knife get under the joint and cut it away from the knuckle. This usually takes two to three cuts before you can remove the complete joint. As you see this takes some time and you need to be careful.
- Next thing is to add the Gold Star Chicken rub. This is now my goto rub for most chicken recipes. Make sure you cover every inch of the meat and skin.
- Get a measuring cup that can handle being in the microwave. Get one stick of unsalted butter and put into the cup. Now off to the microwave using the melt butter mode or on low power. You do not want to overcook the butter.
- Pour melted butter into the bottom of the pan. Be very care for you want to add the butter to the bottom of the pan without getting butter on the skin of the chicken.
- Put chicken into a 325F preheat grill like the Daniel Boone. And if you do have a Daniel Bone grill with Wifi you can program the grill to do the complete cook from this point on.
- What you see is a profile that I set up for this cook. There are two steps to the profile and both are based on reaching a temperature. Step one is running the grill at 325F.
- Stay at this grill temperature till the meat probe hits 165F.
- At that point, we go to step two which will increase the grill temperature to 400F.
- Will maintain that grill temperature till the meat probe reaches 185F. At that point, the grill will shut itself off.
- What we are looking Is the beginning of step two where put foil on the knuckles and add a glaze to the chicken.
- The glaze is Southwest Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce. This sauce is a very balanced sweet sauce but with a kick of heat at the end.
- I let the lollipops rest for about 5 minutes. The lollipops had a great color and were well cooked. The skin was completely rendered and you could easily bite through. But the best part was the taste. Between the rub and the glaze, these lollipops were flavor bombs.