Traeger Competition Style BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Trim chicken thighs as desired. Place chicken and Italian dressing in a large resealable bag. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- When ready to cook, start the pellet smoker at 180F to maximize smoke. Place a large dutch oven on the grill grate and fill the bottom with the butter, water, and salt. Increase the temperature to 350F and allow the smoker and dutch oven to preheat, lid closed, for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the dressing marinade and place in the dutch oven, skin-side down. Season the top of each thigh with Plowboy Yardbird Rub. Cover the dutch oven with the lid, close the lid of the smoker and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the entire dutch oven from the grill and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, decrease the grill's temperature to 300F. Remove the thighs from the dutch oven to a large workspace; pat dry with paper towels. Season liberally with more Plowboy Yardbird Rub. Pull the skin taut around the thighs and place back on the grill, skin side up, for 45 more minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the BBQ Sauce, Apricot Sauce, vinegar, honey and soy sauce. Whisk to combine. Gently dip each of the chicken thighs into the sauce mixture and turn to coat evenly.
- Be sure the skin is tucked under and return to the grill for 30 minutes to set the sauce. Transfer the thighs to a prepared platter and serve immediately.
This recipe is from Traeger and it is pretty good. The only thing I changed is I used Plowboy Yardbird Rub instead of the Traeger rub. The main reason is I just like it better.