Hot and Fast Chicken Thighs on the Rec Tec Bullseye Grill
- 1 REC TEC Grills Trailblazer | RT-340 | Bundle | Wifi Enabled | Portable Wood Pellet Grill
- 1 GrillGrates for 22inch Grill - fits Bullseye
- 1 BBQ Grill Mesh Mat Set of 3
- 1 ThermoPro TP18
- 12 Bone-in Chicken Thighs
- 1 Grill Mates Tennessee Whiskey Chicken Rub
- To start we need to do a few things. First Layout two paper towels. Then put down a frogmat or grill mat. Just make sure it can handle the high temperature of at least 500F.
- Now lay chicken thighs out with the skin facing up.
- To make this easy we are going to use a pre-made rub. The rub we are using is Grill Mates Tennesee Whiskey Chicken Rub. One teaspoon of rub has only 2 grams of carbs so is safe for those that are on the Keto diet or are pre-diabetic like my self.
- After rub is applied to skin side turn chicken over and then apply on the back side. Please note that when you are done with the rub the chicken is sitting on the grill mat with skin facing down.
- Here is the bullseye with the grillgrates in place and on high or knob turn all the way to the right. After preheating for 8 and ½ minutes put chicken it the center of the grillgrates. Now close lid.
- And set a timer for 15 minutes. Check ambient or air temperature inside the grill and it should be 500 F.
- After 15 minutes check skin to see it there are grill marks. Even with the grill mat in the way, the grillgrates will still leave grill marks. With grills marks in place and the skin well rendered, it is time to turn the chicken over. Now you see all that smoke. Well it is not from the pellets. It actually the fat that is being rendered that drips onto the really hot grillgrates. As the fat vaporizes it is creating a wonderful flavor that is going right back into the chicken.
- After turning the chicken let it cook for another 15 to 20 minutes but you have to start checking the temperature no later than 15 minutes. When all the pieces are a minimum of 175F then it is time to pull the chicken.
- So how did it come out? The grill rook 8 ½ minutes to warm up and the lichen too a total 34 minutes to cook. That is a total time of 42 and ½ minutes. But is cooked all the way through? You can see the grill marks and the skin is firm. As I cut through there is nothing rubbery about this skin. Also, you can see it is well cooked and cooked all the way through The meat is very moist and very easy to cut. So how does it taste? What can I say? Once you go hot and fast you never want to go back. The Bullseye is a hot and fast searing machine. I challenge anyone to see if the can completely cook chicken thighs in less than 45 minutes and do this without burning the chicken or burning down your house.