Paella on the Rec Tec Bullseye Pellet Grill or Weber 22 inch Kettle Grill
- We are doing Paella on the Bullseye grill. Traditional Paella is cooked outdoors over wood-burning pits and they use a very special paella pan. The pan I got is the Valenciano paella pan that is 16.5 inches in diameter, and that is not counting the handles.
- As you can see this pan is the perfect size for the Bullseye. For more information on this pan check out the Cooking Tools section above. With pan in place preheat the BBQ to 500F.
- First coat bottom of the pan with olive oil. Now add the chicken. You are going to cook each ingredient separately but use the same pan. This allows all the different flavors to come together with the olive oil. Then that flavor mixed with the saffron gives Paella that very unique taste.
- The chicken will take the longest to cook and because this is a very hot pan keep turning the chicken so it will not burn. Chicken should be done in 20 minutes.
- Now remove chicken from pan and start cooking the prawns The prawns only take a few minutes and when they turn bright red they are done. When cooking the prawns make sure each one makes full contact with the bottom of the pan.
- Time to remove prawns and start cooking the chorizo sausage. The sausage is actually already cooked but you want the sausage to sweat and coat the pan with flavor. Spanish chorizo is milder than the Mexican version. For that reason, there is no worry about it being too spicy.
- With the sausage is done remove the sausage and then cook the onion, garlic and green beans or peas all together. This will only a take a few minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and then pour 4 cups of chicken broth into the pan.
- Now pour in 2 cups of yellow or saffron rice. With the spatula even the rice out so that it covers the bottom of the pan.
- With the broth close to boiling put the cooked meat back into the pan and evenly distribute.
- Then add the cooked onion, garlic, and green beans/peas. Now cover and wait about 10 minutes.
- When the rice has absorbed almost all of the liquid the Paella is done.