Umami Barbecue – Chicken Thighs
In this recipe, we are going to make a unique Umami enhanced barbecue sauce using the Stubbs Sweet Heat barbecue sauce. We are also going to cook to temperature and not time. In my opinion, these are the best chicken thighs I have ever made..Print Pin
- 1.5 cups Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Umami Powder
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
- 1 cup Stubb's Sweet Heat Barbecue Sauce
- It really is not a powder but very small piecesof shiitaki musrooms and salt.Our rub will only be two ingredients.Montreal Chicken seasoningAnd Umami Powder.
- Pour 1/2 cup of Montreal Chicken Seasoning into bowl.
- Now pour one tablespoon of Umami Powder into the bowl and mix well.
- Put rub to the side and now we make the suace that has three ingreidents. Stubb's Sweet Heat Barbecue Sauce, Umami Powder and Fish Sauce.
- Pour 1/2 cup of Sweet Heat Barbecue Sauce into the bowl.
- Pour a full tablespoon of Umami Powder into the bowl.
- Now mix well and let Umami Powder dissolve into the sauce. You need to put this mixture into the refrigerator for about 1/2 hour.
- Now pour one tablespoon of Fish Sauce into the bowl and mix well. The sauce is now done.
- Now put the chicken thighs onto a frogmat and peel the skin back leaving the one side still attached to the thigh.
- Now apply rub liberally to the meat of the thigh.
- Now fold the skin over on top of the rub making sure the skin is tight and had no wrinkles.
- Now with the same rub now apply to the skin. The salt in the rub will help dry out the skin and allow it to render so it will not be chewy.
- Now put chicken thighs into the grill with the grill set at 375F. Also make sure your temperature probe is in the thickest thigh.
- After about 30 minutes we then apply the sauce to the top of every thigh
- We then cook until internal temperature is 175F and then we remove from the grill.
- The chicken thighs will be thoroughly cooked. moist and should taste great.
Tried this recipe?Mention @LearntoBBQ or tag #LearntoBBQ!