Umami Barbecue – Baby Back Ribs
- 1 Camp Chef Woodwind with Sidekick
- 1 BBQ Dragon Extreme Heat Resistant Gloves
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 ThermoWorks Signals
- 1 Pro-Series Waterproof Needle Probe
- 1.5 cups Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 2 tsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 Tbsp Chipotle Peppers in an Adobo Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
- Remove packaging on the three baby back rib racks.
- Remove the membrane from the back of the rib racks.
- Now season the ribs using Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Insert the needle temperature probe into the rib rack making sure we do not touch any bone.
- Put all three rib racks into a 300F preheated smoker. Then plug in the probe into the Signals thermometer.
- We are going to cook these ribs uncovered and in the smoke till they reach 160F.
- As the ribs cook we will now make the barbecue sauce. We get a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add one cup of ketchup.
- Two teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Four tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Two teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Two teaspoons of chipotle sauce
- One half a teaspoon of ground mustard
- One half a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Now if you want you can stop here and use the sauce the way it is. If you want to take it up a big notch then you can add the next three ingredients. I call these the Umami enhancers and the will double the number of glutamates in the sauce.
- Two large tablespoons of chipotle in adobo sauce.
- One tablespoon of fish sauce. Please note it is not fishy.
- One tablespoon of tamari sauce.
- Now mix well and put into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- When ribs hit 160F remove and then apply barbecue sauce,
- Now put ribs into a large foil pan and then cover the top with aluminum foil.
- Reinsert temperature probe and cook ribs till when they hit 195F.
- When ribs hit 195F remove foil from the top of the pan and let the sauce turn into a glaze. This is about 30 minutes.
- Let ribs rest for about 10 minutes then slice and serve.