Umami Barbecue – Brisket
- 1 Camp Chef Woodwind with Sidekick
- 1 Stainless Steel Meat Injector Kit
- 1 BBQ Dragon Extreme Heat Resistant Gloves
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 ThermoWorks Signals
- 1 Pro-Series Waterproof Needle Probe
- 1 John Boos Cutting Board
- 1 Cambro
- 8 – 15 pound Brisket
- 1.5 cups Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Umami Powder
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Tamari Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- On large cutting board put the whole packer brisket. Now start by removing all the hard fat.
- Now flip the brisket over to the fat cap side and trip fat so it is 1/4 inch thick across the fat cap.
- Now remove the silver skin.
- After trimming the brisket now we add the rub. The rub is very simple. Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- In a large foil pan apply two coats of rub. First coat so the salt can penetrate the meat and a second coat so we have a layer of rub to make that crust or bark that any good BBQ brisket should have.
- Make sure you season both sides of the brisket including the fat cap.
- In mixing bowl add 1 cup of ketchup.
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- 2 Tablespoons of Tamari sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons of Fish sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon of Umami Powder.
- Now mix everything thoroughly and let sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Set aside about a 1/4 cup of sauce to be used later.
- With injector inject umami sauce into the brisket making an injection every 2 inches. Think of a 2 inch by 2 inch grid.
- Preheat pellet grill or charcoal grill to 300F.
- Put brisket on grill and insert temperature probe into thickest part of the brisket.
- Check brisket every hour and spritz with water if needed.
- At 160F pull brisket from grill and foil in a foil pan.
- Add the 1/4 cup of injection sauce to the brisket to give it an extra umami boost.
- Now seal up the brisket with another sheet of foil. Remove as much air as you can and make sure it is fully sealed.
- Put sealed brisket back into grill and reinsert the temperature probe.
- When brisket reaches 205F pull brisket from grill,
- If you have a Cambro let brisket rest for at least an hour. No Cambro? Then use a cooler with towels.
- After resting separate the point from the flat and then slice the flat against the grain.
- Here is the flat sliced and put on a platter. Please note the great smoke ring and how moist the brisket is.
- Complete 15 pound brisket prepared and cooked in less than 8 hours. Might be my best brisket recipe to date.